Monday, May 23, 2011

A little progress report

Here's a link to the manuscript as it currently stands. I actually haven't written anything for a few days. Right now it's a first try at a "narrative" form of writing, which is what I put in my last blog entry, and a first try at an "analysis" form of writing. Ultimately I expect the book to mix both, probably a lot more fluidly than it does as it stands currently.

It's also not going to end up being about poker nearly as much as it is right now. You'll start to see why as it develops; it will in fact be about what makes me win at poker, but the best way to talk about that is rarely, in my opinion, by talking about poker.

What I have been doing recently is reading a lot. Here's my current reading list:
The Poker Face of Wall Street
The Happiness Hypothesis
The Universe Next Door
Moneyball
Radical Evolution
Poker Winners are Different
Against the Gods
The Poker MBA

Some of these will relate more to the book than others.

Favorite thing I've learned so far:
"The Earl of Sandwich invented the snack that bears his name so that he could avoid leaving the gaming table in order to eat."

Peter L. Bernstein. Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk (p. 12). Kindle Edition.

Drop that one on the next person who tells you gamblers contribute nothing to society! :)

1 comment:

  1. I skimmed it but will probably read it more appropriately sometime this weekend.

    I like the basketball example. I always use basketball and golf to explain poker to friends. Anyone who can hack at a golf ball can beat Tiger Woods on any given Par 3... but try beating him in 9, 18, or 72 holes.

    ReplyDelete